The first step in conserving energy in your home is to figure out where you’re losing it. To help you do this, we’ve researched and found the answers to these burning questions…
Cooling and Heating
So you want to know what’s using the most electricity in your home?
You may be surprised to learn that cooling and heating can account for up to half of your electricity use!
This is because ACs, furnaces, and heat pumps work many hours daily. But with some simple tweaks, there are plenty of ways to cut back on this energy use.
Here are some easy methods to start saving today:
- Turn down your thermostat by at least 3 degrees while you’re away from home.
- Use natural light when possible instead of turning on lights.
- Install solar windows on south-facing windows, which will passively cool your home during summer.
Your water heater uses a lot of electricity because it heats up to 120 degrees Fahrenheit. So when you use hot water, your heater will have to keep warming it up. That means your water heater uses energy all day and night, even when you’re not using hot water.
The good news is that you can save a lot of energy by turning down the thermostat on your water heater to around 108 degrees Fahrenheit or below.
The refrigerator is often a surprising culprit when it comes to energy use. One of the home appliances that uses the most energy is the refrigerator.
They account for about 15% of your home’s total electricity usage. The good news is that many energy-saving measures are simple and easy to apply.
For example, try putting your milk and produce on the door instead of putting them on shelves in the back or middle of your fridge. It’s also a good idea to be strategic about what you store on your highest bracket—ideally. It should just be a drink!
There are a few things you can do to reduce your refrigerator’s energy consumption:
- First, make sure your fridge is properly insulated. This will help keep the cold air in and the warm air out, reducing the energy your fridge needs to operate.
- Second, keep your fridge stocked with food. A full fridge doesn’t have to work as hard to keep the food cold, so it uses less energy.
- Finally, remember to clean your fridge regularly. A dirty fridge can’t operate as efficiently as a clean one so it will use more energy.
- Following these simple tips can help reduce your refrigerator’s energy consumption and save money on your electricity bill.
Lighting accounts for a large percentage of the electricity used in your home. Therefore, the most common energy-hogging device in your home is your lights.
Lighting consumes nearly 12% of all household electricity, and the more lights you have on at once, the more power they use.
- One method to save energy is by using energy-efficient light bulbs. These bulbs last longer than conventional incandescent bulbs and use less electricity. You can also save energy by using dimmer switches and motion sensors. These devices can help you save energy by turning lights off when they are not needed.
- Another way to save energy is to use natural lighting.Open your blinds and drapes during the day to let in natural light. You can also use solar-powered lights outdoors. These lights use the sun’s energy to power themselves, so you don’t have to use any electricity.
- Finally, you can save energy by using lighting controls. These devices allow you to turn lights off and on with a button. You can also set them to turn lights off automatically when you leave a room.
Making simple changes to how you use lighting in your home can help you save money and energy. Try some of these tips to see how much you can save.
The clothes dryer, while not an energy hog, consumes much electricity. This is because it’s running all day and night drying clothes. As a result, it will use more electricity than any other appliance in your home.
The good news is that you can save significant electricity by switching to cold-water washing and line-drying your clothes outside when possible.
In summer, air conditioners consume more electricity than any other appliance. A single air conditioner can use up to 2-3 times as much electricity as a refrigerator.
This is because it needs to cool down a much larger space than your fridge (the average AC unit is around 10,000 BTUs; the average fridge is around 5,000 BTUs).
Moreover, an air conditioner will also use more electricity when turned on for longer periods. For this reason, turning off your AC when you leave home for more than three hours is important.
Computers and Electronics
Computers and electronics use a lot of electricity in your home. This is because they have a lot of components that need to be powered.
For example, a computer has a processor, a hard drive, a monitor, and a keyboard.
All of these components use electricity. In addition to the elements, computers, and electronics also use a lot of electricity to run. They use this electricity to power the fans that cool the components and to run the software that makes the computer work.
The amount of electricity that computers and electronics use can vary depending on the model and brand. However, computers and electronics, on average, use about 1,500 watts of electricity. This means that if you have a computer and a monitor, they could use about 3,000 watts of electricity.
If you are worried about the amount of electricity that your computers and electronics are using, there are a few things that you can do to reduce their electricity usage:
- First, you can turn off your computer and monitor when you are not using them. This will save electricity.
- Second, you can unplug your computer and monitor when you are not using them. Even when turned off, they still use a small amount of electricity.
- Third, you can use a power strip to plug your computer and monitor into. This way, you can turn off all devices with one switch.
- Fourth, you can invest in energy-efficient computers and monitors.These consume less electricity than older designs.
- Finally, you can talk to your local utility company about ways to reduce your electricity usage. They may have programs to help you save money on your monthly bill.
Following these tips can save money on your electricity bill and help the environment.